This may seem a little different from the Classic Traveller version of the noble, but it is the one career that knits Wanderer's default setting together.
Characters with a Social Standing higher than 10 may choose not take terms in the Noble career. If they do want terms in Noble, they are assumed to have either gained the attention of their local Sovereign by their acts or volunteered for duty. Either way they are given responsibilities for the commoners that surround them.
Enlistment: Special (Characters are automatically nobles if they have Soc 10+)
Commission: 5+ (DM +1 if Edu 9+)
Promotion: 11+ (DM +1 if Int 10+)
Table Personal Service Advanced
of Development Skills Education Education Table
Ranks Table Table Table (Edu 8+ only)
1 B Knight +1 Str Transport Peerage Healing
2 C Baronet +1 Dex Armor Leader Art
3 D Baron +1 End Lore Lore Tactics
4 E Viscount +1 Int Navigation Tactics Lore
5 F Count +1 Edu J-o-A-T Warcraft +1 Aura
6 Armed Combat Healing Lore Instruction
Rank and Service Skills
Noble - Armed Combat-1
Noble - Law-1
Initial Term of Service - 2
Each Subsequent Term - 1
Upon Commission - 1
Upon Promotion - 1
Per Term of Service 1
Rank 1 or 2 - 1
Rank 3 or 4 - 2
Rank 5 or 6 - 3
(Benefits Table: DM +1 if rank 5+)
(Cash Table: DM +1 if Gambling 1+)
Benefits Cash Table
Table (in Shields)
1 Fetish 10000
2 Weapon 50000
3 Armor 50000
4 Fetish 100000
5 Enchantment 100000
6 +1 to any Attribute 100000
7 Enchantment 200000
Amounts on the Cash Table are in Shields (Sh). No more than three rolls may be made on the Cash Table.
- Armed Combat - Provides a choice among any melee or missile weapon.
- Art - A specific medium or expression should be chosen. Haiku, Watercolors, Sculpting, Woodcarving, Sonnets, Weaving, etc.
- Lore - Nobles are required to be knowledgeable about the areas and peoples they are responsible for. Animals, Nature, Theology, Law, Peerage, Metaphysics, Demons, Geography, Alchemy, etc.
- Transport - Warriors are moved where they are needed, and this cascade skill allows the character access to the skills of Boating, Driving, Equestrian, and Seacraft.
- Warcraft - Choose between any melee or missile weapon, Armor, Tactics, or Leader.
In the default Kingdom of the setting, social standing grants these titles to those who wish them. Note that claiming said title will bring with it the expected levels of responsibility...
10 - Squire
11 - Knight
12 - Baronet
13 - Baron
14 - Viscount
15 - Count
16 - Margrave
17 - Duke
18 - Elector
19 - Archduke
20 - Grand Duke
21 - King
The default Kingdom is egalitarian, and enjoys sexual equality. Note that these are the masculine forms of titles. Women who possess these titles will hold the feminine form of the title.
- Weapon benefits must be declared by type immediately; additional benefits of Weapon may be taken as skill in a weapon of the type previously taken.
- Fetish benefits represent one-shot magic items, such as potions, scrolls, woad, etc. Fetishes may be taken as often as rolled.
- Armor benefit grants the character a personal suit of armor. Nobles are outfitted with any armor they desire.
- Enchantment benefit provides the character with a permanently ensorcelled item. Additional occurrences of Enchantment are treated as no benefit.